Monday 22 July 2013

Diversity

No. Not the dance troupe! I'm talking about adding as many strings to your business bow as possible. I've talked before about surviving in a recession and one of the ways I've managed to do that is by diversification.

Obviously I am a wedding photographer, but they are mostly only on Saturdays. That gives me all week to shoot other people! Hence my portrait work.

I've have a target market for my family portraits and target my advertising accordingly. I don't exclude anyone but targeting a certain sector of the local population will naturally limit my market. So to extend my market a little bit I started taking different types of photos in my studio. As well as family photos I also offer boudoir photography, maternity shoots and animal and pet photography.  That has the studio covered but is still mostly evenings and weekends to fit around school and work. I still have the daytime to fill... Which is why I started the commercial photography part of my business.

Businesses are generally open 9-5 Monday to Friday, which is when the studio is quiet. So why not go out and do some work for them?! I spoke to a few businesses and built up a good list of contacts which enabled me to go out and photograph businesses and their products to be used in their marketing materials. This in itself has been diverse from hotels, to restaurants, to Vulcan bombers, to massage therapists, to food, fitness and fashion!


I'm also a Google Trusted Photographer, which means I am able to provide Google Business Photos. That basically means I create 360 degree panoramic virtual tours for businesses in Lincolnshire!


View Larger Map



Even with all of that I realised there's a sector of the market that would actually like to take their own photos. So why not let them do it in my studio! It's only a small part of what I offer, but I have made my studio available to hire to pros and amateurs alike! But once I started renting to amateurs I found a lot of them didn't really know what they were doing, so I started running studio photography courses!


Who knows... maybe I'll spot another gap and start doing even more types of photography soon! We'll have to wait and see.

No comments: