Monday 27 February 2012

Studio for Hire

Before I start, yes, this is a blatant advert for my studio which is available to rent. But it's also a bit about the thought process I went through to make the decision to let it out at all.

My studio is fab! I (along with my dad and a few friends) put in a lot of time, effort and money to make it look ace! And I'm really proud of what we achieved so I want as many people as possible to see it. It's also a very useful, functional space for my portrait photography. It has everything I need for children's photos, boudoir photography and everything else I do including a disabled access toilet and a private changing room. Which got me thinking, it's probably perfect for other photographers needing studio space in Grimsby and Cleethorpes.

But here's my dilemma. Would I be helping out the competition? Amateurs wouldn't be taking the business from me, except that maybe their friends and family might use me if they weren't getting it for free... And amateurs with enough experience can quickly go pro and take work from me! Even worse, a pro is already in competition and taking photos of customers I could have had!

But let's be logical. There are other studios in town. If I turn someone away, they'll just go somewhere else. The pros have already won their client and will do the work whether they have my studio or not. They definitely won't say "Sorry, Chris wouldn't let me have his studio. You'd better let him take your picture instead". So why shouldn't I let them have it?


And so I do! The studio isn't being used by me all the time and is essential an unnecessary expense when it's not in use. The studio is also obviously mine. It's covered in my branding and full of my photos and leaflets. There's always the chance that a client will remember the studio more than the photographer and come back later for portraits from me. Or maybe some wedding photography.

So my doors are open to anyone wanting to use it. I now get paid a small amount for sitting in my office at the computer doing what I would otherwise have been doing for free! In fact there's someone using it as I type this.

And it's available to you if you need it!  More info is at www.grimsbyphotostudio.co.uk

No comments: